The Permanent Missions of Norway and South Africa to the United Nations, the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA), and the International Science Council (ISC) cordially invite you to join an interactive discussion on "Transformations within Reach" as part of the 75th United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) side events.
The purpose of this event is to present a summary of identified game-changing transformations, following the response to Covid-19, that would enable the world to practically take a leap towards sustainability.
There is widespread acceptance of the fact that we have an extraordinary opportunity to introduce game-changing measures that will help us build a more equitable and sustainable world. But Where? And How? We must assess the new knowledge what we have obtained from the COVID-19 response and exploit it.
This virtual meeting will present key insights and recommendations that have emerged from extensive consultations with a multi-stakeholder community and will suggest a way to operationalize a sustainable and equitable new normal.
The speakers include:
• H.E. Dag-Inge Ulstein, Minister of International Development of Norway
• Phil Mjwara, Director General of the Department of Science and Innovation, South Africa
• H.E. Ban Ki-moon, former UN Secretary General of the United Nations and Patron of the initiative
• H.E. Mary Robinson, Patron of the Institute of Human Rights and Business, Chair of the Elders, Chair of the Advisory Board of IIASA-ISC Consultative Science Platform
• Heide Hackmann, Chief Executive Officer of the International Science Council
• Albert van Jaarsveld, Director General and CEO of IIASA
• Peter Bakker, President and CEO of the World Business Council for Sustainable Development
• Moderator: Leena Srivastava, Deputy Director General for Science, IIASA